We don’t know yet, but some of this weekend’s gigs might be under threat from the lovely snow.
According to the forecasts, more snow is threatened for Thursday, and we have people flying in from Spain that day in time for shows on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. So everything depends on how much it snows, and when, and where, and how many troops have been dispatched to clear the runways…
And naturally, most of the bookings are looking healthy, and in one, a local enthusiast has gone to immense trouble and expense to prepare food and socialising for after the show..
It’s always the way with cancellations.
So today has been about having ‘conversations’ with venue managers about the possible dangers – if there are any, which we hope there won’t be because I’m just panicking – which I hope I am.
It’s all very well for those on the sidelines to urge that ‘The Show Must Go On’, but after all the snowballs have been thrown, this weather is going to effect the flamenco business just like any other. And the venues artists perform in. And the awful truth is that we won’t know what the best decision is until it’s too late to take it..
As the famous song goes on to say:
“Everything the traffic will allow.”
There is a real danger of no traffic at all, especially air traffic.
We have people coming in to three different airports. Which is either good or bad, I can’t decide which. All the singers and a guitarist are are arriving at Stanted. If that is clear, we could put on a show, but only with one dancer. If it isn’t clear, we’ve no show at all. And all the permutations in between. Either way we need all three to be clear to have a full company.
Maybe the era of cheap-flight based mini-tours is coming to an end.
Day 1. 6/2/09
Everyone did arrive, just.
Mateo and Ana and Jesus managed to scramble in to Stansted in between snowshowers at 11.50 last night. By this morning it was snowbound again, and Luton, which is not that far away, was totally isolated.
The snow hit at just the right places and times for us last night, and the same is happening today. We were chased away from Stansted by it last night, and out of London by it today into the effects of last night’s storms in the west country. It’s as if we’re in the eye of the storm.
To the south and north of Tewkesbury winter chaos reigns. Both Severn bridges closed. The M5 at a standstill. And Oxfordshire enjoying blizzard conditions.
And yet we slid effortlessly along the M40 due to the lack of traffic, and hit Tewkesbury in record time. The trip from The Roses to the digs in Cheltenham tonight, and the trip to Bromsgrove tomorrow – and home again – may be a different story.
Day 2. Artrix 7/2/09
The tour bus seems to be blessed. From London to Tewkesbury to Cheltenham to Bromsgrove, the snow and travel chaos is either just behind us or too far in front to be a real nuisance.
By Artrix today, the conditions are easier. And the audience doesn’t have to wear its overcoats. Nevertheless, we are still surrounded on all sides by blizzards and icebound roads and closed schools and five mile queues behind jack-knifed lorries.
Day 3. Peña Flamenca de Londres. 8/2/09
No travelling, no problems. Safe in the warm bosom of London.
Just a full house for our first appearance at the Peña de Flamenca de Londres.
Thanks to Vera.
Day 4. New Vic. 9/2/09
The Monday night our luck ran out after the New Vic gig in Newcastle Under Lyme.
After defying the weather since Thursday, laughing in the face of snow and ice and gales while the rest of the country ground to a halt, it all finally caught up with us on the way home tonight. Our last show on the tour. The M6 and M1 were very difficult, but Thanks to Gordon, we all made it in one piece. Thanks to Renae, the shows were lit and stage managed, and this video shot.